Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Evey June's Birth Story

Since I’ve been absent, lots of things have happened in our lives. For one, we had our second baby!!
Evey June Bryant was born January 26, 2011 at home in our bath tub. She weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces and was 21 inches long.
Here is the way she came into the world.

I woke up at 3:50 am early Wednesday morning to go to the bathroom, as many pregnant women do, and felt nothing except this huge watermelon pushing on my bladder. Went back to sleep and woke back up a little after 4:00 am with the crampy/go to the bathroom feeling. I was so excited and knew this was it. I tried to go back to sleep or at least lay there until I couldn’t anymore.

It got intense pretty quickly and I guess I was breathing hard because I woke Chris up. Told him this was it and he got up, made coffee, called his work and started calling people I wanted there for support other then my Midwife and husband. At this point I rushed to put my contacts in because I hated having my glasses on while in labor with Zeke. I brushed my teeth as well and was going to attempt to put some make up on but never made it that far. They were like 2 minutes apart almost lasting a minute. We are about an hour into it and Kim Reeves, Jen Polk and my mom got there like 15 minutes after Chris called them. They were getting my bed ready and making sure everything was in the right place. My mom I wanted there mostly for Zeke. He usually doesn’t wake up until 7 but I wanted her there just in case he wakes up earlier or if I was going to be in labor all day. I’m glad she was there because he woke up like 20 minutes after my they got there; I guess he was excited to meet his little sister.

Oh, at this point I had never been checked so I have no idea if I was dilated before going into labor.

I had to really breathe and moan through the contractions now. I was praying for God to just get me through this contraction. I knew that if I could make it through this contraction, I would be ok. One step closer to the finish line and one step closer to holding my baby. One contraction at a time is what I focus on in my head. It was probably 5:30 am at this point and we decided to call the midwife. Sharon called us back and wanted to talk to me and in my head I was thinking, how am I supposed to talk on the phone? I got the phone said hello and said it hurts really bad and gave the phone back to Chris because I was having a contraction. She was headed our way!

I tried to sit on the birth ball but that was NOT comfortable. I couldn’t sit or even stand up all the way so I ended up laboring over a dining room chair with a trash can on the seat just in case. I didn’t want to get in the tub yet because I knew Sharon was going to check me when she got there and I didn’t know if she would make me get out to do it. It's about 6:30 am and I was “feeling it” as I say when I’m in labor. Sharon was not there yet and I told them to make sure the front door was unlocked so she could come right in. I had a contraction and felt like I was going to throw up and go to the bathroom all at once so I rushed to the potty and sat down. Sharon came in at that moment and my water broke on the toilet. Good timing right? As soon as my water broke, my body was pushing like a crazy machine! I thought I was going to have her in the toilet right then. I reached down and felt her head bulging. I started freaking out in my head because it was all happening so fast. At this point I had only been in labor like 2 hours and 20 minutes!! I just started labor and now she is poking her head out!!

Sharon listen to her heartbeat when that contraction was done and said ok lets get in the tub. I said I can’t get up…I don’t think I can. She said “yes you can Brittany, It’s not very glamorous to have a baby on the toilet!” I got up right away and shuffled to the tub. That tub felt AMAZING!!! It was so hot and helped me to really relax. Get my head in the game if you want to say. Talking to God telling him he is going to have to help me do this. I started to get really scared and didn’t want to push. A couple contractions came and I fought them off. Sharon could sense that something was up. She asked me what was wrong and I told her I was scared. She said, “I know it’s scary, I know it hurts but focus on your baby. You can do this!”
The song How Great Thou Art, sung by Carrie Underwood, came on and it was just what I needed to hear at that moment. Sat there for a minute praying and thanking God that I get to do this at home with people I love. Thanking him for a great pregnancy. Thanking him for his son to die for me. Thinking about all the pain and suffering He went through. It made my pain worth it. How great thou art to get me though this!
Contraction came, I pushed with all my might and out came her head. Now with Zeke’s labor, my body kept on pushing when his head came out but this time it did not. I told them to get her out. To pull her out! Haha Sharon said if I pull your baby out, I get to keep her. Contraction came and so did the rest of my sweet little girl. She went right in my arms and onto my chest. That moment is indescribable. Pure bliss!

My labor was 2 hours 44 minutes long. I was not expecting it to be that short. Zeke’s labor was 6 and a half hours so I was thinking it would be around the same or maybe longer. You just never know. Every labor is so different. I’m just super thankful for the short one!

No comments:

Post a Comment