Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Amazing Hummus without Tahini

This is the best hummus recipe I have made. Can't remember where I got this from but it is SO good! A big plus about it is that you don't have to use Tahini! Most hummus's have Tahini in it. I like it with Tahini just don't have that in my spice cabinet on the regular.

Ingredients:

  • 1 (15 oz.) can of organic chickpeas (also know as garbanzo beans) drained
  • 4 TBSP lemon juice (fresh is best but you can use the bottled if you have it)
  • 1/4 c. EVOO
  • 2 cloves of crushed garlic ( I used 4 because I LOVE me some garlic hummus)
  • 1/2 TSP salt
  • 1 TSP ground cumin
  • 1/2 TSP cayenne pepper
  • Fresh parsley to garnish
*Check out my notes and tips at the bottom before making.

Preparation:

  • Blend all ingredients in food processor or blender until smooth
  • Pour into your favorite dish (or your mouth like I do)
  • Drizzle with EVOO and garnish with chopped fresh parsley
  • Devour it! 
How easy is that, huh?

I love this recipe and make it multiple times a week. We eat it with veggies like carrots and bell peppers. Also with homemade pita chips, pretzels, put it on wraps and my favorite,  just my finger. ;)

*Notes and Tips:

  • I have noticed I get a better consistency if I use my blender over my food processor. Don't know why, just do. I'm sure if you have a super duper awesome mixer, you won't have a problem with consistency.
  • While blending the hummus I have had to add more EVOO. Add more if you need more but just a little at a time. As I tell myself while cooking all the time, You can also add more but you can't take away....unless it's chocolate. You can never have to much chocolate;)
  • Taste as you go. Before I add in any other ingredient I always taste just to make sure it really does need more salt or cayenne etc, etc. 
  • You can also add in roasted red peppers if you life. I have done it with both and it's really good. 

No comments:

Post a Comment