Friday, February 24, 2012

Vegan Lasagna

This was SO good!! I made it for the fist time last night and it turned out better then I thought it would.
I also made some for a fellow veggie eating family that have been herbavores for a long time and they loved it too!

While I looked at this recipe, I got a little intimidated with all the ingredients but it was super easy! It's a recipes that only takes a few steps of cooking and the rest is blending and layering the pan.

My favorite part about this recipe is that you don't precook the noodles!!!

What??!?!  Did I just say that? Oh, yes I did!

 I've never heard of not cooking the noodles in lasagna. Craziness I tell ya!

I LOVE lasagna.
It's my favorite food, besides dessert, which my husband tells me isn't a food group. I beg to differ my friend. So when I found out that my daughter was allergic to dairy and eggs, I knew lasagna was out the door. This recipe came along and my non-dairy cooking life is forever changed.

Let get to it.

Ingredients:

Filling

  • 2 Tsp EVOO
  • 2 med. onions chopped (2 cups)
  • 3 minced garlic cloves (1 TBSP)
  • 1 10oz. baby spinach 
  • 2 12oz. firm tofu, drained
  • 1 8oz. vegan cream cheese, plain
  • 1/2 C. fresh basil
  • 1/4 C. nutritional yeast
Lasagna
  • 5 1/2 C. sause
  • 12 uncooked noodles
  • 12 oz vegan sausage crumbles
  • 1 C. vegan mozzarella cheese (3 oz.)
Preparation:
  1. Preheat oven to 375C.
  2. Heat oil in pan and sauté onions and garlic.
  3. Add your spinach to veggies. I had to add a little at a time because it wouldn't all fit at once. Let it wilt a little add more and repeat until all spinach is wilted.
  4. Put in food processor along with the tofu, cream cheese, basil, nutritional yeast. Blend until smooth. Salt and pepper to your liking.
  5. Cook your vegan sausage crumbles. Set aside for later.
  6. Spread 1 quarter of your sauce on the bottom of a 13X9 pan.
  7. Cover with uncooked noodles
  8. Cover noodles with half of the filling.
  9. Add another quarter of the sauce.
  10. Repeat that one more time. Noodles, filling and sauce.
  11. Spread sausage evenly over the top and top with sauce.
  12. One more noodle layer and sauce.
  13. Sprinkle with Cheese
  14. Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.
  15. uncover and bake for another 20 minutes. until noodles are fully cooked.
  16. Let Stand for 10 minutes before cutting and serving.
  17. Eat it up!!
You can add more veggies to it if you would like. like mushroom or squash into the layers. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!

No comments:

Post a Comment