Friday, February 24, 2012

Vegan Potato "Stew"

It was chilly here in Jacksonville on Monday, so, I figured it would be a great night for potato stew. I love this stew because it is chunky, thick and really yummy. It is also really EASY! If you want it to be more soup like, all you have to do it add more liquid.

I'm a sucker for a good stew. I like stew over soup....I'm thinking it's a texture thing.

Both kids tore this up. We also didn't have any leftovers if that tells you anything:)

Here is the recipe.


 Ingredients:

  • 2 garlic heads
  • 1/2 C. diced onion
  • 1.2 C/ diced carrots ( I used the long matchstick style carrots because it's no cutting and I thought it was the perfect size.)
  • 3 C. cut potatoes ( I cut mine into big bite size pieces. I know they would break up a little while cooking and I wanted it to stay chunky stew like.)
  • 1 C. milk of choice (Almond milk was mine)
  • 1/2C fresh chopped parsley (I've used basil as well and it was good too.)
  • 1  bay leaf (optional)
  • Salt and pepper to taste.

Preparation:



  1. Broil your garlic heads. I like to cut the top off of the head so the tops of all the cloves are showing. and then wrap it in aluminum foil. You can add a dab of EVOO if you'd like but it's not necessary. Broil them for 5-10 minutes.
  2. While the garlic is broiling, sauté onions and carrots with EVOO in your pot that you will be making the stew in, until lightly brown.
  3. Add your potatoes and milk to the veggies 
  4. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes.
  5. Turn burner to low and cover stew for 30 minutes or until your potatoes are cutting cooked. 
  6. At this point you can add your bay leaf salt and pepper and your parsley if you'd like. I have added my parsley in the stew and I have just garnished each bowl with it. You decide what you think would be best.
  7. Before serving find your bay leaf and take it out. You don't eat that part...just for flavor. One time, I could not find the dang leaf! So, it was a game of whoever found the leaf in their stew wins a prize, the leaf!!
Enjoy the stew!!

No comments:

Post a Comment